February 13, 2020

Riveting the left wing skeleton

Walking into the ship, I noticed that the hydraulic jack under the right wing had gone down a bit and allowed the assembly to sag. I'll eventually replace the jacks with some wood supports that won't compress over time, but the jacks will do for now as long as I keep an eye on them.

It's not much, but it's noticeably lower than before. Guess the seals in the hydraulic jacks aren't perfect.

In the meantime I worked on the left wing skeleton. Using the same method as for the right wing I riveted the ribs to the main and rear spars for the left wing and actually managed to do it in slightly less time. I did somehow manage to let the bucking bar get slightly angled on a couple rivets, causing some scratches on the spar. Those will need to be sanded out and primed, but they shouldn't cause any problems in the long run.

>:(

Same drill. I attached an angle to the outboard rib and once again got my dad's help to place the assembly on its stand.

Two wings!

With the jack in place and sag removed for now, I called it a night. I've made a lot of progress over the last few sessions and now I have a lot to show for it!