February 18, 2020

Fabricating lower spar supports and removing twist from the wing skeletons

The wing is pretty solid with just the angles and jacks supporting it but I still needed to make some supports for the rear spar for extra support and so the skeleton won't twist when being worked on.

My solution was very simple, just some 2x4 pieces with the cut up remains of the aluminum angle I used when I was sealing the trailing edge of my rudder. I decided to go a step further and rivet on some of the scrap aluminum skin to protect the rear spar, so I dimpled/machine countersunk the skins and angles as necessary.




With the additional supports in place I began the process of removing any possible twist in the wings. To start I loosed the lag screws on the main angle supports and did my best to level the spars before retightening the screws just so everything was starting off from a level state.

That should do. A digital level may have been better for this but this won't be how I make the final adjustments anyway.

With everything as level as I could make it I attached the requisite plumb bobs to the spars to check the distances between the strings and the rear spar. Making small adjustments and clamping as I went, I was eventually able to get each set of measurements for both wings within 1/64".


Sag and twist removed, clamped in place, and solid as heck, these skeletons are ready for their skins. I went to attach the inboard and outboard skins when I noticed that there was some interference with the outboard skin and the angle attaching the outboard rib to the wing stand.

Welp, looks like I forgot that there's a wingtip that's supposed to go here eventually and the skin extends a bit beyond the end of the spar to attach it. I'll need to cut down the attach angle to allow the skin to go on without interference.

Looks like I need to cut about 1 inch off each end so the angle fits inside the spar area.

I had just spent an hour getting these things set perfectly, and now I have to remove an angle? Ugh.

There was no way I was going to take the whole wing off of the stand at this point, so I needed to come up with a way to remove just the angle while keeping the rest of the wing in place. As a homebuilder, sometimes you need to get creative to solve problems.

It looks janky as heck but this contraption keep things secure.

One removed angle...

...and cut to size. Much more better.

The removal and readdition of the angles unfortunately undid most of the work I had done earlier, so I spent another 30 minutes or so using plumb bobs to adjust and remove twist from the wings yet again. Better to worry about this now than later, after all.

With the skeletons and stands finally, 100% ready to accept the wing skins, I clecoed on the top inboard and outboard skins for both wings. Thanks again to my good buddy Chip at the airport who loaned me around 290 of his 3/32 clecos to supplement the 240ish I already have, allowing me to cleco all of the skins onto both wings at the same time. I went ahead and ordered an additional 100 from Cleaveland just to be safe.

These clecos saved the day. Thanks Chip!

One wing...

...two wings!