February 23, 2020

Match drilling wing skins

Now for the fun part - match drilling the hundreds of holes in the wing skins! Let's table the fact that I'll have to deburr every one of these later and just enjoy accomplishing something for now.

Since all of the holes are prepunched there aren't actually any holes to drill, or are there? Turns out there's a hole missing in my right wing spar! A quick change from the #40 reamer to a #40 bit quickly took care of that.

Guess that computer-aided manufacturing isn't always perfect. Not a big deal, fortunately.


As I finished the top skins and went to attach the bottom skins, I realized that my original design for the outboard lower spar supports wasn't going to work for the same reason the upper support angles wouldn't work. Reluctantly, I clamped the skeleton to the upright 4x4s and carefully removed the supports to modify them to allow the lower skins to go on without interference. With the top skins held in place with a couple hundred clecos, the skeletons stayed perfectly still when I took off the clamps.


I borrowed the clamp orientation from some other builders' sites. It works well!

After modification, I put the supports back in place and clamped the skeletons back onto the supports. Getting the lower wing skins clecoed on and match drilled took the rest of my allotted time. Progress!