February 10, 2020

Mounting the right wing skeleton to the stand and removing sag

It's easy enough to set the inboard part of the main spars onto the angles on the wing stand but I can't really do that for the outboard end, which has the ribs flush against the outboard edge. To solve this problem, I cut some 1/8" aluminum angles to fit the width of the spar and drilled a couple extra holes in the outboard main ribs to attach the angles.




One wing skeleton, ready to go.

I cut some of the scrap aluminum sheet to protect the spar from getting scratched by the aluminum angle once it's mounted. With a little help, the spar was then mounted and clamped onto its stand.



I had picked up some hydraulic jacks from Harbor Freight (I couldn't find any screw jacks unfortunately) so I attached a 4x4 to one and used it to support the skeleton from under the center rib.

Saggy. Let's fix that, shall we?

To remove the sag I took some kite string (strong under load, thin, and easy to keep taut, so it worked just as well as fishing line would have) and ran it across the spar through the end holes with some clamps on each end to add weight and keep it taut.


From there it was a simple matter of raising the jack until the string lined up with all the holes.

Nope.

There we go.


With my workbenches cleared I went ahead and clecoed together the left wing. The shop looked rather inspiring at the end of the day.