October 8, 2018

Priming HS and VS parts, successfully this time

The Critter sprayer arrived a couple days ago as planned, so I attached the regulator from the Harbor Freight gun and an inline filter. Just like that I had a fully-functional sprayer. Testing with water yielded similar results to the water test with the other gun. Everything looked promising so far.

Simple, but effective

It turned into quite the assembly, but at least the weight should help me keep it steady?

Today was finally a good day to prime, so I gave all the parts a quick re-scuffing to remove any aluminum oxide that had formed and I cleaned the parts with soap, water, and acetone. I mixed up the AKZO and brought the parts outside during the 30-minute induction time, then cautiously started spraying. Thankfully, my second attempt at priming went far better than the first.

Despite hours and hours of prep, actually shooting the primer only took about 15-20 minutes for all of these parts.

The resulting finish on the parts, while being ever so slightly heavier and more textured than the finish left by the HF sprayer, is still adequate and provides complete coverage and protection. Success!

The only real criticisms I have of the Critter sprayer are A) the round spray pattern is tight and doesn't cover as much area as the fan pattern of the HF gun, B) the siphon design occasionally causes rogue drops of primer to shoot out and land on the parts leaving unsightly spots, and C) the siphon doesn't reach to the bottom of the jar, meaning every priming session will leave you with around half an ounce of primer remaining in the jar that can't be sprayed. All of that said, the easier cleaning of the gun pretty much offsets all of that since I won't have to buy a new sprayer every time I want to prime some parts.