October 25, 2018

Horizontal stabilizer complete! Riveting HS skin

I guess working on both the HS and VS at the same time was beneficial after all - now I can say it only took me 2 more days to finish the horizontal stabilizer!

I started by riveting the HS-707 nose ribs to the HS skins. The skins are pre-bent but still try to force their way open with enough force that clecoing only the ribs in place can be an issue. All of that force is concentrated in just a few holes on that rib, which can both "pop" a crease into the skin and bend the flanges of the rib. Mike Bullock's build log mentions that he used masking tape to help keep the edges of the skin closer together to help prevent this. I used the masking tape, and I also clecoed the HS-708 ribs in place behind the nose ribs (suggested in the next step in the plans to help keep things aligned). I had some trouble getting the bucking bar into place in the tight space near the front-most rivets, and one ended up with a deformed factory head. It had to be replaced, but the rest went into place with some patience.

Before attaching to front spar assembly, I went slightly out of order and riveted on the HS-706 end ribs with the squeezer so I wouldn't have to buck these rivets with the skin on. The VS assembly has you rivet the entire skeleton together before putting on the skin, so I'm not sure why the plans have you putting on the HS skin before the end ribs go into place.

The front spar went into its place rather easily, and I began the process of riveting on the skin using the same technique as with the VS. Starting at the intersection of the HS-706 and 708 ribs, I worked my way to the tip, then back to the root, then straight back to the aft edge of the skin.

The whole thing's a lot lighter and looks a lot better without all the clecos in the middle...

With one side mostly done I could start working on the other side using the same process.

Now we're getting somewhat close to a finished airplane part.


The rear spar assembly went on next. Most of the holes could be reached with the squeezer, but I used the rivet gun and bucking bar on the rivets in spaces too small for the squeezer to reach (i.e. the rivets next to the hinge brackets on top of the spar doublers).

The HS-708 rib is attached to the rear spar using BSPQ-5-4 pop rivets. The ribs had a slight twist in them causing the holes to not completely line up at first, so I took a rivet punch and maneuvered them back into place before inserting the rivets. These went in pretty easily and looked great.


...I went back and fixed that one slanted shop head next to the hinge bracket later on.
This is what the shop heads look like from the inside. Very nice!

The final step: riveting on the end ribs. Thankfully I could reach all of these with the squeezer. Every rivet should be set on the bottom sides of the ribs, but I nearly forgot to leave some of the holes open on the inboard top side for the fiberglass tail fairing that will be installed later. I caught myself just as I was about to make the mistake and saved myself from having to drill out any more rivets than I already had at this point.

Just like that, I have the horizontal stabilizer ready to go!


I couldn't resist propping the VS up along with it just to see how it looked.

There it is – (most of) the tail!

Another sub-assembly down, and many, many more to go. I'll finish up the rudder next, then I'll move on to the elevators. I went ahead and ordered the wing kit since there's an 8-week lead time on every kit except the empennage kit. Planning ahead to avoid any down time is a must. Momentum is the key to success! The wings should be here by early January, giving me just enough time to finish the rudder and the elevators and clean out the shop in preparation for a bigger assembly. Things are starting to get really exciting now!