October 26, 2018

Finishing rudder trailing edge countersinking

It's getting close to being time to prime the rest of the rudder parts, so I went back to the trailing edge to finish all the countersinks. I assumed that my earlier method of simply holding the trailing edge with my other hand wouldn't work as well since the holes would be enlarged and wouldn't make for a good guide for the countersink, so I went back to clamping the trailing edge to the smaller edge piece before drilling. It worked alright for a few holes but I started noticing that a couple of the holes were coming out slightly oblong after drilling. I realized that the clamps had started to slip with the vibration of the drill, so I decided to switch back to holding the piece in my hand. As it turns out, the countersink works perfectly even with the enlarged holes as long as you hold the cage tight enough against the piece so the whole thing doesn't move. The rest of the holes came out almost perfect using this method.

The weird lighting in the shop makes the edges of the holes look a little wavy, but they are actually round