October 31, 2018

Backriveting rudder stiffeners

With the stiffeners and skins all cured, I started riveting the stiffeners to the rudder skin. This was my first time backriveting, and it couldn't have gone much better than it did. I'll echo what a lot of other builders say - backriveting is the easiest method of riveting that produces the best-looking results.

Rivets and tape in place.

Or should I say, it produces the best-looking results when done correctly:

This is how the stiffeners should look when they're attached...

...and this is how they look when you're not paying attention. This setup would make it pretty difficult to close the rudder skins together, so I don't recommend it! Thankfully it wasn't too difficult to drill out the rivets on that first stiffener and reattach it the correct way.

We had a Halloween party at our house, so I came back outside and continued riveting anytime I got bored or sick of making small talk with other people. Some curious partygoers ventured out in search of the noise and watched me work for a bit. It made for a good opportunity to show off the build so far and to demonstrate how the rivet gun works.