April 18, 2019

Riveting aileron stiffeners to skins and bending the trailing edges

With the skins and stiffeners primed I went ahead and dimpled them both. Since the primer dries fairly quickly I let the parts sit overnight and started dimpling around 15 or so hours after I had finished priming them. The stiffeners had no problems at all, but some of the holes on the right aileron skin actually had some primer flake off when being dimpled. I probably should have waited the recommended 48 hours for the parts to fully cure before dimpling.


I took the opportunity to practice spot priming by mixing up a couple milliliters of primer and dabbing it on with a q-tip. It worked decently well and doesn't look too bad for something that will be completely unnoticeable anyway. I'll have to do this to the main spars once I machine countersink the holes in those.


I backriveted the stiffeners to the skins in much the same way as I did with the elevators. I had taken the plastic cuff off of the backrivet set to make setting the rivets on the rudder trailing edge easier. Unfortunately this means I have to use my fingers to hold the parts flat against the skins, which also means I end up with bruises on my fingertips where the set hits them a few dozen times a second.


Out came the bending tool and I bent the skins as far as they could go. 

Before...

...and after.

This still wasn't quite enough to complete the bend though.

Yeah... the skin should be touching that spar. Oh well, time to break out the hand seamer.

I took to the skins with the hand seamer and managed to get the trailing edges pretty close to their final bend. The left aileron is pretty much where it needs to be, but I ended up overbending the right aileron a bit (which is very easy to do when using the hand seamer). Like the elevators, they can be easily adjusted later if needed even after everything is riveted together.

There we go.

The left aileron. Damn near perfect if you ask me!