March 27, 2019

Finishing left elevator riveting (mostly), drilling a hole for trim servo wiring

The riveting process continued with the counterbalance skin and ribs, pretty much identically to that of the right elevator. Since my squeezer was still set perfectly for the -3.5 length rivets, I squeezed all rivets of that length on the ribs and also on the trim spar before moving on to the longer rivets in the assembly.

Before riveting on the trim spar and closing out the assembly, I checked the fit of the electric trim servo on its mount.

Beautiful.

While doing this, I remembered that some builders had drilled an additional hole in the spar around this area. The hole that's already in the spar is there to allow for full travel of the servo jackscrew, and the plans show the wiring for the servo being routed through this same hole. I don't feel so good about the wiring being that close to the moving jackscrew, and other builders have noted that this wire routing may eventually cause chafing of the bent wires as the elevator moves up and down. I decided to drill an extra hole pretty much directly forward of where the wires will come out of the servo, and this happened to be right in the hole for the elevator horn.

The stock hole for the jackscrew. The servo fits perfectly.

I made a pilot hole using a #30 bit, enlarged it to #12, then drilled it to final size (1/2") using the unibit. It's definitely a good thing I did all that drilling while the skin was still open. I doubt I would have been able to get all of those metal shavings out if it was closed up! There end up being a slight chamfer on the edge where the unibit bit into the metal and went slightly askew, but the snap bushing I'm going to put into this hole should cover that up.

The added 1/2" hole for the servo wiring.

The last rivets to set were those that connected the trim spar to the E-705 inboard rib. For now only the lower side gets riveted since the hinge for the trim tab still needs to be match drilled and installed. With those done, the left elevator went into storage until I finished the trim tab.

Working as intended. The stand was the better idea versus mounting these on the wall.