May 6, 2019

More flap rib work

There are only a couple of things left to do on the flaps, one of which is drilling for the platenuts that will attach the pushrod connecting the flaps to the flap motor.

To start, the hole in the rib needed to be enlarged to 1/4" to accommodate the rod end bearing. From there, I could cleco the rib doubler in place and match drill the 1/4" hole into the doubler.


To drill for the platenut itself I took an AN4 bolt and screwed it into the platenute to hold it in place. I held the platenut as steady as I could to match drill the rib.

The platenut ended up being slightly askew, but it'll be hidden well and it definitely won't bring the airplane down.

Clecoing the one hole, I match drilled the other into the rib.


From there I removed the platenut and clecoed the rib doubler back on so I could match drill the new hole into it.


Finally, the hole I had just drilled into the doubler needed to be machine countersunk on the inboard side. There will be a flush rivet here to allow adequate clearance for the pushrod to glide over this area.

An AN426AD3-6 in place that will be long enough to join the doubler plate and the platenut to the rib.

Rinse and repeat for the left one. Easy enough!