May 27, 2019

Dimpling and countersinking flap pieces, preparing for final assembly

Before I could start riveting the flaps, I needed to finish countersinking the holes on the bottoms of the main spars since I decided to prime everything first. I think I've finally gotten the hang of machine countersinking since I'm now able to get fast, quality results without letting the holes get oblong.

The contrast between the green primer and bare aluminum looks so cool.

The plans recommend making a flap stand to assist in holding the flap steady during riveting, so I grabbed the wood left over from the large wing crates and cut out some V shapes using the ribs as a template.

Screwing two boards together during cutting allows for two identical pieces.

At first I used some tiny pieces of scrap wood to hold up the two pieces, but these proved to be way too flimsy to be effective.


Instead, I used some more wood from the wing crates and screwed the pieces together. This proved to be way more solid.

The main board has a crack running down the middle, so the extra pieces screwed to the middle are to keep it from splitting any further.

To round out the day, I dimpled the rest of the ribs and spars for the flaps. Next up, riveting.