March 1, 2020

Match drilling right leading edge, left leading edge work

With everything clecoed and clamped in place I could finally get to work drilling the right leading edge. First was drilling through the skin into the joint plate, making sure the holes were lining up correctly with the blank W-408 rib.


It's a little close on that one, but the rest look good.

Finally came drilling and reaming the rest of the holes. Right leading edge: done for now.

Moving on to the left leading edge, work proceeded identically to that of the right one. The tiedown bracket had to be ground just like the other one, but this time I made sure to open the hole in the skin to its full size before reattaching the bracket. I'll be ecstatic if these tiedowns rings work half a good as they look.




Like the last one, the joint plate gave me some trouble. Taking it slow I was eventually able to get everything in place and clamped. One session of drilling and reaming a couple hundred holes and I was able to take another step back and check my progress. I'm starting to see more and more of my airplane materialize in front of me.