September 21, 2018

Deburring HS parts, continuing work on rudder stiffeners

Now came the part that everyone complains about – deburring. It's an easy task, but a tedious one considering the sheer number of edges and holes that need to be smoothed out. The edges are handled with a file, the edge finishing tool, and a Scotchbrite pad, and most of the holes can be reached with the electric screwdriver with the hex shank deburring tool attached.

I tried the soldering iron method of removing the blue vinyl for deburring but it was making scratches in the skin, so I ended up just removing it by hand. I might revisit using the soldering iron later...

The insides of the spars and ribs are too narrow to fit the electric screwdriver, so I had to deburr the insides of those holes by hand. This is easily the worst part of the whole deburring process. It's slow, it's tedious, and it makes my hands and fingers cramp up every few holes with the tiny, repetitive motions necessary to turn the bit in the holes with limited clearance. I tried finding a 90-degree drill bit adapter to help me out but nothing was small enough to fit inside the spars. I'll have to do all of these by hand.


After an undetermined number of hours, I finally finished deburring every part of the horizontal stabilizer. The next step is priming. The AKZO I ordered just arrived, so I went out and got a Harbor Freight spray gun along with a regulator, an inline air/oil filter, and some paint mixing cups and filters. I'll be building a couple of painting racks too. The only issue with priming is that it's still pretty humid for most of the day at this time of year, so I'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks before I'll be able to prime with less than 75% relative humidity per the AKZO instructions.

I also worked some more on the rudder stiffeners and got most of them finished. I should be able to get them done by tomorrow, then I can continue working on the rudder.