August 19, 2019

Final main spar countersinking, priming, and nutplates

My new countersink bits arrived so I could continue working on the main spars. The new bits obviously made for faster, cleaner cuts than the old bits. Once the cutting was done I spot primed everything and allowed it to cure for a couple hours.

In the meantime I was able to countersink and spot prime the holes for the nutplates on the forward side of the main spars.


After the primer cured, squeezing the flush rivets was a five-minute job.



With the primer for the main nutplates cured I installed the nutplates and then countersunk and primed the final holes for the screws.

FINALLY done. Glad that's over.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm actually not finished with all of the countersinking on these things. I'll still have to countersink ALL of the #40 holes to allow the dimpled wing skins to sit flush with he spar. It'll probably be a while until I need to do that though, so I'll revel in this victory for the time being.

With that the main spars are (almost) officially done, though I have a LOT of work to do before I get to the final assembly. The next big tasks are finishing the rear spars preparing the ribs, so I have plenty to look forward to in the coming months.